Five-day breaks aren’t ideal.
Sean Couturier scored his first goal of the season, but it wasn’t enough, as the Philadelphia Flyers dropped a 2-1 decision to the Dallas Stars Tuesday for their first home loss of the season.
Tyler Seguin opened the scoring late in the first period, while his linemate Jamie Benn scored just 11 seconds into the second period, sending the Flyers into a 2-0 deficit they couldn’t recover from.
Steve Mason returned to the Flyers crease, stopping 30 of 32 shots, while Antti Niemi was excellent for Dallas, turning away 34 of 35 shots.
Couturier defected a shot past Niemi midway through the first period to bring the Flyers within one, but a costly penalty from Matt Read late in the game thwarted any comeback possibilities.
With the loss, the Flyers fall to 2-2-1 to open the season.
Key Stats/ Takeaways
- Claude Giroux fired eight shots on goal in the loss. He had been credited with just nine shots on goal in his previous four games
- The Flyers were outshot 14-17 in the first period. The rust from a 5-day break definitely showed early, as they could never really recover from a very poor start
- Brandon Manning was burned on both the Dallas goals and finished the night a minus-2. Not a good game from the 25-year-old
- Radko Gudas continues to be a destructive force. He finished with a game-high seven hits
- Matt Read has quietly had a productive start to the season. With a helper tonight, he now has two goals and three points in his first five games
- Mason looked good after giving way to Michal Neuvirth in the team’s previous two games. He made 30 saves and was only beat by superstars Seguin and Benn. Lots of positives for him to take from his return to the crease
The Highlight Reel
(The best Flyers GIFS from the game)
Antti Niemi robbing the Flyers
Ryan White applauding Roussel
Couturier scores his first
Flyers are on the board with a goal from Couturier pic.twitter.com/9O5gtdzflV
— steph (@myregularface) October 21, 2015
(The best tweets sent out during the game)
Those French guys
Bellemare on playing against fellow Frenchman Antoine Roussel: "It makes it a little spicier."
— Bill Meltzer (@billmeltzer) October 20, 2015
Speaking for a whole lot of people right now
just wanna go to a flyers game already
— dana (@dambrosio_25) October 20, 2015
Wells Fargo Center buzzing
— John Clark NBCPhilly (@JClarkNBCS) October 20, 2015
Mason returns to the crease
Steve Mason with a nice ovation pic.twitter.com/seDzJ4auet
— Kyle Phillippi (@Kyle_Phillippi) October 21, 2015
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME HOCKEY?!?!?!
— Flyers Nation (@FlyersNation) October 20, 2015
Game on! #DALvsPHI
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) October 20, 2015
Grandson Brady Dumas with me tonight in Wells Fargo press box getting ready to scout Flyers-Stars game. pic.twitter.com/51GR4CsktZ
— Kerry Fraser (@kfraserthecall) October 20, 2015
Stars go up 1-0, yikes…that’s some reaction
Possible #Flyers goalie controversy brewing as Mason allows a goal. That's five scores allowed in his last 26:46 of ice time.
— Bob Herpen (@pelle31lives) October 21, 2015
— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) October 21, 2015
Benn assists Seguin for the opening goal, scores the 2-0 one
Nothing going on out there
— Flyers Nation (@FlyersNation) October 21, 2015
Never want to be down 2-0 going into the third
Flyers 2nd Period Analysis: pic.twitter.com/MCGBeOspzy
— Jordie 🔵 (@BarstoolJordie) October 21, 2015
"Stop doing what you're doing." -Dave Hakstol in the locker room, probably
— Tim Riday (@TimRiday) October 21, 2015
Jackets lose 7 straight to open season
Well Flyers fans, look at it this way; at least we aren't Columbus!!!!!
— Flyers Country (@FlyersCountry) October 21, 2015
Tonight could have been better
Flyers lose. Pens win in overtime. Crosby gets his first goal of the season. pic.twitter.com/kL2SVbvvlv
— Pens Suck (@PensSuck) October 21, 2015
(The best photos from the game)
Simmonds robbed by Niemi
Roussel was getting on everybody’s nerves tonight
Next Up: Flyers vs. Bruins, Tuesday October 21, 8:00, TD Garden, NBC