The Flyers received the best player available when they drafted Ivan Provorov with the 7th pick.
The 6’0″ 201 pound defenseman averaged over a point per game in his rookie junior season after coming over from Russia.
2014-2015 season: 61 points (15 G, 46 A) and a +36 in 60 games with Brandon. 13 points (2 G, 11 A) in 19 games during the postseason.
- Played in CHL Top Prospects Game
- World Junior Championships silver medal with Russia
- First team WHL Eastern Conference All Star
- Led WHL in assists (46) by a rookie
- Led WHL in points (61) by a rookie
The Flyers have arguable the best group of defensive prospects in the NHL with Provorov, Travis Sanheim, Samuel Morin, Shayne Gostisbehere, and Robert Hagg.
This is the third year in a row the Flyers drafted a defenseman with their first pick (Morin, Sanheim, Provorov).
Ivan Provorov is the first Russian player drafted in the first round by the Flyers during their history.
The Flyers have one more first round pick at #29.
More to come…